Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Sunday Report: How to Hear God

My Pastor hit a very good point today. Why does it seem like God never answers when I really, REALLY need him. I ask and ask but I hear nothing. But, have I ever considered that maybe I am the one who isn't listening. Maybe God is trying to communicate with me but I am not listening. I may be hearing, but I am not properly comprehending what he is trying to tell me. Or perhaps I am focused on something else and tune him out as noise. Either way, I'm not receiving his meaning. And, by definition, if the meaning of the communicator is not understood by the receiver of the message, then communication has failed. Okay, so I guess God has tried to talk to me, but how am I supposed to hear and understand him. I mean, It's not like God has an ' Answers to your everything for Dummies'. Or has a hot line where he answers my problems, questions and complaints, right? Of course God has ways to talk to us and he tries to all the time. Be it through the Word(a.k.a Holy Bible), a speaker, pastor, friend, family member, song, boyfriend, girlfriend, random guy on the street. You name it and God can somehow use it to communicate with you. We just have to tune ourselves to God's radio station and learn how to understand him. Once we have learned to tune out our thoughts, our emotions and whatever lies Satan feeds us via the world. This can be achieved by spending time learning from the Bible. My pastor made an excellent scientific analogy saying that just as opposite frequencies cancel each other out, the word of God and the word of the World are opposites and learning from the word of God allows us to cancel out the noise of the world and hear God clearly.

1 comment:

Emily Elizabeth said...

Hey Capers! This one is really good! You really hit this one home. I think every Christian is guilty of this but it takes them time to realize it! I know for a fact that I'm guilty of it, sadly. But I just gotta be like "God, I know I've been slipping away from you but I'm ready to come back, so please hold my hand more tightly. I need you." or something like that!